Thursday, December 20, 2007

On Library 2.0 & Web 2.0...

I read the resources except I was unable to access the article from Library Journal. I laughed out loud at The Annoyed Librarian's Anti-2.0 Manifesto and some comments on it as well...finally, a comedic look at all the hype. I'm not ready to trash this program at all. I welcome the opportunity to learn the new technology....technology is a tool and what libraries and librarians do with it is a matter of creativity and purpose. Of course some ideas fly, others don't. Why did Cool Librarian's library blog fail to get any interest? I know a lot of people are turned off by the term "blog". Maybe a different way of marketing it would help.

Okay, I don't have much time to write here so I'm flitting around the topic plus I'm on the reference desk...

but I find it funny how parallel this librarian/customer collaboration mimics the trends in education in recent years where teachers are no longer to "teach" but to "facilitate" learning. Some good comes from that but something is lost too.

I guess I was wondering why I would want some of the library customers tagging the resources. I suppose that's what they mean by "trust".

The concepts that excited me the most and seemed to hold the most possiblities are "collective intelligence", "novel and remixed content", and hopefully "simplicity".

No comments: